Monday, May 10, 2004

What We’re Up Against

My Faithful Correspondent shared an e-mail thread with me that started when she was included in an e-mail by one of her fellow Democrats. It began as a letter to the editor of The Blade. He cc’d his Republican niece (RN), who replied and evoked a response from FC.

—– Original Message —–

From: dan ryan

To: letters@theblade.com

Sent: Thursday, May 06, 2004 12:59 PM

Subject: Kerrys Medals deserved

The Republican campaign is really absurd in trying to negate the importance of the medals that John Kerry so justly deserved. There is a process the military goes through in determining whether these acts are truly fit to be awarded. Of course this administration’s president and vice president would not be aware of this, not having served in combat. This is one that

should backfire on them.

Daniel Ryan

—– Original Message —–

From: Republican Niece

To: letters@theblade.com ; dan ryan

Sent: Thursday, May 06, 2004 1:16 PM

Subject: Re: Kerrys Medals deserved

Thank you Uncle Dan for your opinion. I don’t know enough about it to persuade my thinking. I know I don’t like Kerry at all. I honestly don’t want either one in the presidency. I was told that I need to pick the lesser of two evils. I am voting Bush again. Still love me??

Your niece

—– Original Message —–

From: Faithful Correspondent

To: Republican Niece

Sent: Thursday, May 06, 2004 3:38 PM

Subject: Re: Kerrys Medals deserved

Tut tut, Carla – you don’t want an anti-woman, anti-environment right wing religious fanatic controlling your life for another four years do you?

. . . .a friend of your Uncle Dan’s

—– Original Message —–

From: Republican Niece

To: Faithful Correspondent

Sent: Thursday, May 06, 2004 4:09 PM

Subject: Re: Kerrys Medals deserved

FC,

I don’t know about all of that. What can I say? I do like Bush over Kerry.

RN

—– Original Message —–

From: Faithful Correspondent

To: Republican Correspondent

Sent: Thursday, May 06, 2004 4:26 PM

Subject: Re: Kerrys Medals deserved

Are you registered to vote? Better take care of that first. Your Uncle Dan is a smart guy. Listen to what he says. I can send you some information, but not until you register.

—– Original Message —–

From: Republican Niece

To: Faithful Correspondent

Sent: Thursday, May 06, 2004 8:21 PM

Subject: Re: Kerrys Medals deserved

Yes I am registered, have been since 1988. Yes, my uncle is a smart guy I agree. However, I am a Republican and voting for Bush. I do not like Kerry, I think he is a joke, and an embarrassment.

Thank you for the offer, but please do not send my any information on politics. I am not all that involved and do not care to be.

—– Original Message —–

From: Faithful Correspondent

To: Republican Niece

Sent: Friday, May 07, 2004 10:14 AM

Subject: Re: Kerrys Medals deserved

sorry – thought you were about 20 years old.

—– Original Message —–

From: Republican Niece

To: Faithful Correspondent

Sent: Friday, May 07, 2004 10:52 AM

Subject: Re: Kerrys Medals deserved

FC,

That’s ok. I know you were trying to be helpful. I honestly didn’t mean to sound rude. I used to be Democrat, but I agree with the Republican view on more issues than democrats, so I changed my party.

Take care,

RN

—– Original Message —–

From: Faithful Correspondent

To: Republican Niece

Sent: Friday, May 07, 2004 2:12 PM

Subject: Re: Kerrys Medals deserved

I used to be a Republican, but Richard Nixon cured me. I’m a liberal Republican turned Democrat. This particular candidate the Dems are running is so strong, so intelligent, so honest and will be so good for our country that I’m anticipating a landslide. What we have in office now is just plain scary. In fact, anything (even Dennis Kucinich would be an improvement – at least Dennis is smart:) )

Better get on board.

FC

[FC added to me: “There was no reply to this last piece of self-indulgence.”]

In other words, “Don’t bother me with the facts; my mind is made up.”

I especially like the line about Kerry being “a joke and an embarrassment.” Compared to the present administration? Are you out of your mind, RN?

We have our work cut out for us, boys and girls.