– Dr. Michael DeBakey has died.
Dr. Michael DeBakey, the world-famous cardiovascular surgeon who pioneered such now-common procedures as bypass surgery and invented a host of devices to help heart patients, has died. He was 99.
While still in medical school in 1932, he invented the roller pump, which became the major component of the heart-lung machine, beginning the era of open-heart surgery. The machine takes over the function of the heart and lungs during surgery.
It was only a start of a lifetime of innovation. The surgical procedures that DeBakey developed once were the wonders of the medical world. Today, they are commonplace procedures in most hospitals.
He also was a pioneer in the effort to develop artificial hearts and heart pumps to assist patients waiting for transplants, and helped create more than 70 surgical instruments.
He saved thousands of lives, including my dad’s.
– Hitting the airwaves: Barack Obama takes it to McCain for “makin’ stuff up.”
– Still digging: Fred Barnes defends Phil Gramm’s comments.
– Miami demolition derby: New traffic lanes create havoc on I-95.
– What’s that popping sound in your head?
Some say it’s a hoax. but they don’t actually disprove it. Sounds like another case for Mythbusters.