– The End of the Siege: At least 155 people are dead, including 22 foreigners and five Americans, with over 280 wounded, as the Indian forces storm the last strongholds and end the three days of terror. For now.
– Black Friday: Wal-Mart worker trampled to death by shoppers. (No, that’s not from The Onion.)
– Car Sales Slump: Now would be a good time to get a bargain on that new Mustang convertible.
– Annals of Awkward Moments: Samantha Powers, who once referred to Hillary Clinton as “a monster,” will be heading up the Obama transition team at the State Department.
– Polishing the Legacy: President Bush, heading for the door, “said he wanted to be known ‘as somebody who liberated 50 million people and helped achieve peace; that focused on individuals rather than process; that rallied people to serve their neighbor…'” As Hilzoy said, “Well, I would like to be remembered as a defensive lineman for the Cincinnati Bengals. Whose wish is more unlikely, I wonder?”
– Not So Fast: Democrats in New York may not push for same-sex marriage in the state this year. “‘We want to get there, but we want to get there the right way or else we risk setting ourselves back another decade,’ said Senator Liz Krueger, a Democrat who represents the Upper East Side.”
– Disguised Mother Woos Juror in Bid to Free Son: Five bucks says that this will be an episode on Law & Order within the next year. Ka-chung.