The Daily Kos/Research 2000 poll of 2,000 self-identified Republicans is about to be released, but Eric Kleefeld at TPM got a sneak peek at some of the results via Kos’s Twitter account:
• 39% of Republicans want President Obama to be impeached.
• 63% think Obama is a socialist.
• Only 42% believe Obama was born in the United States.
• 21% think ACORN stole the 2008 election — that is, that Obama didn’t actually win it, and isn’t legitimately the president, with 55% saying they are “not sure.”
• 53% think Sarah Palin is more qualified than Obama to be president.
• 23% want to secede from the United States.
• 73% think gay people should not be allowed to teach in public schools. This position puts the GOP base well to the right of none other than Ronald Reagan, who helped defeat the Briggs Initiative, a 1978 referendum in California that would have forbidden gays or people who advocated gay rights from teaching in public schools.
• 31% want contraception to be outlawed.
It’s hard to tell who’s nuttier; the 53% who think Sarah Palin is qualified, or the people in the Democratic Party and the White House who think we should be paying attention to these people or hoping for some kind of meeting of the minds on getting serious work done.