Donald Trump has banished the Washington Post from his campaign because he thinks they treat him unfairly.
Donald Trump said Monday that he was revoking The Washington Post’s press credentials to cover his campaign after the publication gave him “incredibly inaccurate” coverage.
Trump had suggested earlier in the day on Fox News that President Obama’s response to the worst mass shooting in U.S. history showed he was either secretly working with terrorists or else naive about terror threats. The Washington Post’s headline on a story on the comment read, “Donald Trump seems to connect President Obama to Orlando shooting.”
“Donald Trump’s decision to revoke The Washington Post’s press credentials is nothing less than a repudiation of the role of a free and independent press. When coverage doesn’t correspond to what the candidate wants it to be, then a news organization is banished,” The Post’s Executive Editor Martin Baron said in a statement.
“The Post will continue to cover Donald Trump as it has all along – honorably, honestly, accurately, energetically, and unflinchingly. We’re proud of our coverage, and we’re going to keep at it,” Baron said.
There have been a slew of reporters and publications that have been denied access to Trump’s campaign events, including The New York Times, BuzzFeed News, Telemundo, Politico and The Des Moines Register.
I can’t help but think of the parallel between this and gun control. Those in favor of anyone and everyone having a gun say that banning a certain type of gun won’t do anything because if people really want a gun, they’ll get one. Does Mr. Trump think the Washington Post or any other organization will stop reporting on him because he has a fit of pique?
Well, one could only hope.
As for the story itself about Trump implying that President Obama was in cahoots with the terrorist; well, that’s exactly what he was dog-whistling to his base. He just got busted for it by the Post, that’s all.